Sunday, September 27, 2009

What's in a Name?

My parents named me 'Faith.'

When I was a child, I didn't like my name. I was shy and didn't like being in the spotlight and so I always dreaded the question, "What's your name, little girl?"

When I'd respond, there was always this pause...and then the line of questioning. "What did you say?" or "Faye...is that what you said?" or "Could you say that again?"

It forced me to look them in the eye and say, "My name is Faithhhhhhhh... th...th... th" (emphasizing the 'th' and sticking out my tongue as I did so...which gave me a measure satisfaction!)

I dreamed about having a different, easy name...like Jane or Laura. I was secretly jealous of my sister's name, 'Linda.' Nobody misunderstood her name! It was just...normal.

It wasn't until I was older that I finally asked my mom the 'Why-did-you-name-me-Faith' question. The answer changed everything.

Here's her explanation....

"When you were born, your dad was going to school. We had two other little ones and lived in a tiny apartment. We had nothing. All we really had was our faith!"

Her story made it all better.

I still get some of those blank looks when I introduce myself. But now, if I get the opportunity, I tell my story...about a young couple who thought they had nothing...but in reality...they had it all!

Keep the Faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment