Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I'm a Pioneer Woman!

I left a pile of clothes in the dryer too long yesterday and everything ended up horribly wrinkled, forcing me to face the reality of having to participate in that pioneer activity called "ironing!"

I was ticked off. What a waste of time! I'm too busy to iron. Aren't today's permanent press finishes supposed to guarantee an iron-free life?

I threw the two pair of slacks over my shoulder and stomped upstairs to the little room where Mr. Sunbeam lives. It had been a while since I'd been in there and the air was stale and stuffy so I opened the window and plugged in the cord.

As I waited for Mr. Sunbeam to heat up, I thought about how much time I'd be wasting...and it made me mad all over again. I began the pressing project and gave myself a good lecture. "Well, I hope you've learned your lesson..." and "Let's not let this happen again...okay?" and "It serves you right...this is your punishment."

But as I moved the iron across the first pant leg...something happened. A breeze from the window took the steam from the iron and wafted it up past my face. Mmmmm....the sweet, clean smell of freshly laundered clothes brought back childhood memories....and I saw myself...a little girl, perched on a stool, legs dangling, ironing pillowcases....and more pillowcases...and all the white dish towels I could find in the house!

I went from being lost in childhood memories.....to coming up with solutions to things that had been stuck in the back of my mind all week.

And you know...I rather enjoyed the solitude of the moment...and I smoothed out a ton of wrinkles that had invaded my life...just like a pioneer woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment