Monday, February 15, 2010

It's RAK Week!

February 14 - 20 is Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Week. Did you know that?

I've always liked the spirit of giving without expecting anything in return...no praise...no refund....no acknowledgement...so I decided to see if I could find ways to celebrate RAK Week this year.

Of course there's a Random Acts of Kindness Website (actsofkindness.org). As I read different ways to observe this RAK Week, I decided that, at least in the small town I'm from, there's a lot of RAKing going on day-to-day --it's really not such a rare thing. And of course we claim 'Minnesota Nice' as a virtue.

So, my immediate mission will be to spread some kindness and take note of others doing the same. So, here are a few RAKs I've spotted so far:

*****
I walked from the dentist's office to the coffee shop and saw an older woman doing the "Minnesota shuffle" across a huge patch of ice, guiding herself with a cane. A young person came up from behind and offered her arm in assistance. I could tell that they didn't know each other, yet the two of them continued across the slippery spot, arm-in-arm. A few words were shared and they parted.

*****
I spotted a 'chunk-kicker.' A young man was trying in vain to remove a huge chunk of ice/snow that had built up in the wheel well of his small vehicle. A big, rather burly guy made a bee-line across the sidewalk, gave it one crack with his steel-toed work boots and the chunk fell like a rock to the pavement. They exchanged a laugh, a handshake and each went on his way.

*****
Visiting the local grocery story after work, I stood in the checkout line behind a child who was purchasing a gallon of milk...and a candy bar. When the cashier said the total amount due, the child was a few coins short, probably because of tax on the candy bar. The cashier looked at the wide-eyed child, reached in his own pocket and made up the difference. The boy thanked the cashier who then said, "You're welcome...now enjoy that candy bar, ya hear?"

*****
It took me a while to get into the mode of actually finding ways to spread a little kindness but watching others has given me some new ideas. The acts of kindness I noticed were simple. It's about making a difference, one kind act at a time!

Okay...your turn. Start noticing random acts of kindness in your workplace, community or home. I know you'll be moved to share a little more kindness of your own. Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment