Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Perfect Saturday Morning

It was an extra busy and stressful week at the office and I spent too much time staring at a computer screen. And, it snowed, it rained and was cold...all week.

On Friday, someone asked me if I had anything fun planned for the weekend. I had to stop and think, and then realized that we had no plans. Nothing! Nada!

We hadn’t really planned anything because we had expected to be busy harvesting soybeans, but that wasn't going to happen with all the rain and snow we’ve gotten lately.

Saturday morning, we got up early and had our usual coffee in the kitchen with WCCO radio -- the Good Neighbor to the Upper Midwest -- providing background noise. We chatted about this and that as we looked out the window at the heavy dense fog. We took turns saying it, “If only the sun would come out…”

As Paul went through the huge stacks of newspapers and mail that had accumulated during the week, I got out the Fron Church Cookbook and opened it right to the yeast breads section. There it was...the best recipe in the whole world... Ebba’s Buns. I made them a lot when the kids were little and I was a stay-at-home mom. I’m not sure what I liked best: eating those warm fresh-from-the-oven delights, watching the kids smear them with layers of peanut butter, or just enjoying the great aroma that floated throughout the house and lingered all day.

Before noon, I had made three dozen buns, put a ham in the oven and sliced and diced enough of our fresh garden potatoes to make a good-sized casserole of scalloped potatoes. I scrubbed the floor, cleaned the bathroom, washed a couple loads of clothes and helped Paul look for the owner’s manual for his combine.

It was a perfect morning......and at noon, the sun came out!





Ebba’s Buns
2 Cups boiling water
½ Cup sugar
2/3 Cup Crisco

Combine and cool to luke warm. Then combine 2 packages yeast and 1/3 cup warm water. Add that to the first mixture. Add 2 tsp salt and enough flour for a soft dough (about 7 cups). Knead well. (I use my big mixer with the dough hook and let it run slowly.) Let rise in a big bowl, covered with a dish towel in a nice warm spot. Shape into buns, cover and let them rise 2 more hours. Bake at 375 for 15 – 20 minutes until nicely browned. The softer the dough...the lighter the buns!

1 comment: